[PetiteCloud] petitecloud.org writing style - WAS Layered architecture for a cloud computing platform

Dee Nixon dnixon-fnre at nyclocal.net
Mon Mar 24 11:58:29 PDT 2014

> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 02:23:38 -0500
> From: Anya Deason <anya.deason at gmail.com>
[...]
> Well, one thing we are instructed to do when writing accessible
> articles for the general public involves defining terms
> sequentially. Explain the theory before repeatedly using the term. I
> would not use parenthesis and brackets. I use those sometimes,
> though not in formal writing.

I don't think it's feasible to define every term on every page of
the site where a given term gets used.  In particular, if we did
that on the layers page, it would take forever to get to the point.

Instead, I would suggest that the site have (1) a section for
general introductory material intended to make the rest of the site
more accessible to laypeople, and (2) a glossary, where each
technical term used on the site has both a definition and
accompanying links to recommended further reading.  Then, on other
pages of the site besides the intro articles and the glossary, every
technical term could be linked to the relevant glossary entry.