[PetiteCloud] PetiteCloud on FreeBSD 10.0 with bhyve

Dave Smith dsmith at johncompanies.com
Thu Jun 19 16:50:26 PDT 2014

Hi Michael,

Emails from Aryeh helped, and I got it up and running.  The directions
are missing the step that starts tomcat7 and set it up to automatically
come up on boot.  A list of binary packages that could be installed
without having to re-compile the world would help greatly.  I don't
think gcc, perl5, tomcat7, openjdk, qemu-devel, or python27 need to be
recompiled from scratch.  These take a huge amount of time and
frustration as several of these were broken and required fetching files
from the web instead of automatically from the servers.

It is missing a few features that I wanted.  The naming of the VMs and
mapping is not useful from a command line.  I had trouble getting the
console access to work.  The ability to see/modify files inside the VM
from outside was not there.

Because I was having so much trouble getting it to work, I started
playing with vmrc.  I found it to be more mature and I am more easily
able to modify it to my needs at the moment.

I would still like to see PetiteCloud progress.  If I was able to marry
vmrc with the PetiteCloud, it would be the best of both worlds.  Then I
could have a non-FreeBSD-command-line-savvy operator do most of the day
to day work, and I could still manipulate things under the hood with the
command line.

Just my thoughts.

Dave
  dsmith at johncompanies.com