[PetiteCloud] PetiteCloud on FreeBSD 10.0 with bhyve

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:34:57 PDT 2014

Except for the URL (lack of smartness of scripting on our end) and your
misunderstanding that apache is needed for tomcat (tomcat is a completely
independent server then devel/apache22 [if it also installed devel/apache22
let me know this is a bug]) the instructions have been tested end to end at
least 10 times I know of including a successful install in Canada and I
suspect more people have not reported since we keep no stats on this.

To start tomcat do

             sudo service tomcat7 onestart

(you need to do TOMCAT7="enable" in /etc/rc.config to make it
rebootable)....

the reason for the long ports build vs. packages is since we are in active
development (the current version is late alpha early beta quality and will
be fully beta by mid Aug when we will be adding a much better security
layer including HIPAA compliance) we need to be sure we are compiling
against the most recent versions of stuff (packages often lag by upto a
month).... during this process we will be drastically streamlining the
install process and improving the instructions with user feedback (your the
first with feed back who was not also on the core team)...

as to the question if we are a proof of RMCH I certainly hope not seeing
that paper was written in 98 and I have been using cook (the program based
on it) since 2002 (I wrote the official tutorial).... our current build
system needs a lot of help and is also due for a rewrite in 0.3

We use make in our port because FreeBSD requires the use of make in ports.
However, the makefile is strictly boilerplate that calls cook.  We do not
use make in our development work.  Instead we use cook exclusively.  We
also use aegis as our change management system.

For more info on why we use aegis and cook see

http://hv-allconnections.quora.com/SE-Peter-Miller-the-first-and-totally-forgotten-modern-software-engineer

http://hv-allconnections.quora.com/SE-Cliff-notes-to-Millers-3rd-law-of-modern-software-engineering-aka-Recursive-Make-Considered-Harmful

http://hv-allconnections.quora.com/SE-Aegis-The-solution-to-Millers-1st-and-2nd-laws-of-modern-software-engineering