[PetiteCloud] OpenStack Host OS

Michael Thoreson m.thoreson at c4labs.ca
Tue Feb 11 17:52:37 PST 2014

I see you using Ubuntu a lot for the OpenStack appliances. Have you
considered RHEL or similar? Reason I ask is Red Hat recently made
available RDO http://openstack.redhat.com/Main_Page which basically
makes deploying OpenStack much less painfully process than doing it by hand.

It is suppose to work with RHEL and any derivative such as CentOS,
Scientific, Oracle EL and Fedora. I would consider Oracle for a
OpenStack host OS as I find it has the best blend of stability and new
features. When testing ZFSonLinux and GlusterFS I found a near 10x
throughput improvement switching from Ubuntu 12.04.1 to OEL 6.4. I also
had increased stability with VMWare vms.

I am not saying abandon the Ubuntu approach, just thought RDO would be
something interesting to look into for the *EL die hards out there.

The biggest downfall for OEL is it doesn't support Xen as a host very
well. Never been able to make it work.

Which makes me think has any consideration been given to adding libvirt
support to petitecloud? it would make supporting additional hypervisors
much easier. Could add support for Xen, VBox and VMWare. Bhyve is not
libvirt capable ready but they may add it as discussions on openstack
forums say the openstack team do not want to add a driver specific for
bhyve and would prefer it be libvirt compatible.

Michael Thoreson,