[PetiteCloud] best quick and dirty way to share file systems

Aryeh Friedman aryeh.friedman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:50:19 PDT 2014

Cook (one of the key components of PetiteCloud's development environment)
has a feature that will allow us to vastly speed up the build time and
reduce the testing time for both us and other developers.

Basically it let's you build on multiple machines at once and at the end of
the day each machine will completely upto date (see chapt. 4 of the cook
user manual for more) in order to make this happpen the following
requirements need to be met on each slave machine:

That your account name is the same on all machines (otherwise not even the
rsh -l login-name
option will help).

That all of the necessary files and directories are mounted in exactly the
same place on all of the
machines; and that they are the same files on all machines, via NFS or
similar. Automounters can
make this especially messy.

Some additional features requirements:

How should we handle different people having different topologies

Should we assume that all developers will be using a compile/test farm
(even if it is a single machine with a couple of instances devoted to it)

We are thinking or repacking the work flow (but not any other component) as
a commercial product does this have any FOSOK issues?